WHITE BEAN AND HAM HOCK SOUP
How to make White Bean and Ham Hock Soup
* Ingredients :
° 1 pound of dried northern beans
° 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
° 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
° 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
° 7 cups of high-quality or homemade chicken or turkey broth
° 1 smoked pork
° 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
° 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
° 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
° 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* Directions :
– Rinse and sort the beans to remove any residue. Soak the beans in a large amount of cold water overnight. You can also soak quickly instead of overnight. For a quick soak of beans, place the washed and sorted beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Cover with 2 inches of water.
– Bring to a boil over a high heat; Once it boils, turn off the heat and cover. Leave for an hour, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over a medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic and a pinch of salt.
– Fry the onion until soft and translucent for about 5 minutes, then strain the soaked beans in the water, then add the onion broth, pork veins, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat, let it simmer and cover.
– Simmer for 30 minutes, then add the beans and cook over low heat for an hour and a half to two hours without a cover until the beans are soft. 5 minutes before the beans are done, add the oregano and parsley and stir.
– Remove the pork from the shank of the pork, chop it, and put it back into the stew, if desired. Taste and add any salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.